Sunday, October 10, 2010

Autumn Motivation

It is the busy season at work, full of travel and meetings. When I go on the road I always bring some fiber projects to work on. I bring a little handspun yarn, store bought yarn, my crochet hooks and some finished projects that need to be photographed. I enjoy getting to my destination early so I can find a little coffee shop to sit down in to crochet and have a treat.


It's a great way to meet the locals. Every time I start working, someone comes up and wants to know what I'm working on. Sometimes I even have other crochet or knitters come and join me. Last Wednesday I was in La Crosse, Wisconsin. I went to Jule's Cafe and within 20 minutes I was talking to four friendly people. One girl I met was working on a beautiful wool and silk knit cowl in a deep wine color. It is so much fun to meet other crafters on the road.

Sometimes the only time I have to crochet is while I'm on the road. I have been so busy at work, and by the time I get home I am depleted. I find it a challenge to muster up enough energy to peel the plastic off a meal and microwave it. But, lately I have pushed myself to make the time while in town to sit down and relax, and finish my projects. I had been asked numerous times when I was going to make wrist warmers, but I did not know how to so I wasn't able to do it. Last week I decided to try making a pair without a pattern while I was traveling. I ended up making two pairs, and I just love them. They are functional and cozy.

The first pair I made was using my multicolor handspun yarn, and the second pair was made with merino and tencel yarn in charcoal grey. I am looking forward to cranking about about 10 pairs for the holidays. They would make perfect stocking stuffers or a small gift for a coworker or friend. And who doesn't love a handmade gift?

No comments: