Friday, December 16, 2011

The New Normal

There have been some major changes for me lately, which have been bittersweet. I found myself unemployed as of early November, and promptly turned up the heat on Arsenal of Buttons (AOB). With the holidays just around the corner, I knew if I stayed busy with my work I would be okay through the New Year.

My first Monday morning at home I decided that it was time to tackle our space. Having more time on my hands meant no more excuses; I finally had the opportunity to create the clean home I have wanted and needed to be creatively productive. I am pleased to say that our place has never been more clean, including my studio.

Let's back up a bit.
There is one more big change in my life. I got married in September, after 11 months of planning and preparing. It was by far the most wonderful day of my life. Each detail was important; I made my headpiece, my husband sanded the large wooden slabs we used for our centerpieces from my parents tree, he made our guestbook fingerprint poster, I hand glittered the guest place cards, we designed our invitation and accompanying materials together (no small miracle), I made my bridesmaids jewelry and nest wedding cake topper, I covered large letters in glitter and moss, the list goes on. It was our day, and we made it so.

Special thanks to the brilliant women at Paper Rock Scissor for printing our invitations, menus, and signs, Carl Anderson of Princess Bride Videography for capturing our day so beautifully, Kris Drake Photography for being there from start to finish, on her feet at 7 months pregnant, Sugar Sugar Candy in South Minneapolis for providing sweet treats, Mary Andler of Mary's Floral for my stunning flowers, and Richfield Floral for creating the Chuppah of our dreams, complete with birch branches and my great grandmothers table cloth as the canopy.
    


Prior to the wedding, my husband got very sick in May and spent 6 of 7 nights in the ICU. I stayed with him each night, curled up in the waiting room, not leaving him until the nurses changed over and I had to step out. That experience of being so close to losing my partner changed us both. We are closer than ever, and have an understanding of what is truly important. This has made us look at our current situation in a different light. Yes, I'm not working at a full time job. But we are lucky to be together, and lucky to have our health and to have a support system.

So, a lot has happened, and I predict more changes in the near future. I have never given Arsenal of Buttons this much effort and time. I can honestly say I have never felt better. I get up early, have breakfast, and give all my attention to AOB. With the company of our cat, Lucca, I crochet, solder silver, update my Etsy store, check my AOB Facebook page, explore the Etsy business topic forums, vacuum, dust, grocery shop, ship orders (my favorite thing to do!), and try to exercise. One thing I thought I would do more with time off, is nap. No naps here, I stay quite busy. Of course, I have my eyes peeled for possible full-time work, but I wanted to see what it would be like to make AOB my full time job for just a little while. With the support of close friends and Etsy orders from all over the country, it has been a truly successful month.

This Sunday is my third and final craft fair of the holiday season. I have redesigned my table for craft fairs, and feel like I have found what works. The leftover wood from the wedding has come in handy!
















The craft fair will be at the Saint Paul Jewish Community Center, this Sunday, December 18, from 1 - 4pm. It would be great to see some friendly faces there. Even if you don't make an AOB purchase, I will have cookies and cream Hershey kisses on my table.



Thank you for your support and for taking the time to get an AOB update. Happy holidays and best wishes to you and your families!

No comments: